Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

Goomba38 said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> When I was in the hospital, when they weren't IV'ing me with NaCl all
>> day, I got a break and got one or two sacks of KCl instead.
>>
>> No flavor, either of 'em!

> IV fluids commonly contain potassium. Doubtful you were getting any
> great quantity of it (big or little "sacks") if all you had was a
> regular peripheral IV site. We give that stuff out like water.

Goomba38,

Not sure about peripheral IV site but I was attached to the IV for 7 days
non-stop and the IV location was changed every two days. Maybe to prevent
vein collapse. I left with some pretty good black and blue marks on my arm.

The sacks were clearly marked SODIUM CHLORIDE and POTASSIUM CHLORIDE.

Occasionally, they'd interfere the flow of that stuff and shoot me full of
pain medicine through an auxiliary tube midstream along the way to my arm.
I'll never forget the "burn" of that stuff either, then "OK... zzz"

Andy