Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz Stan Horwitz is offline

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

In article .com>,
maxine in ri > wrote:

> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?

My mom rarely cooked anything with salt because she has high blood
pressure, so whenever we ate at home when I was a kid (which was most of
the time), our food was cooked without salt. For me, a low salt diet is
the norm.

We just got used to no salt ... at least I did. My mom, on the other
hand, has a heavy hand with the salt shaker when she sits down to eat,
but never when she cooks. I too have high blood pressure, so I never
salt my food (either when cooking, or when eating) and I can tell you
that after a while, it simply doesn't matter any more.

I guess if I want a salty flavor, I add lemon juice. If your mom and
sister are good at sticking with their low salt diet, they will discover
that just eliminating the salt from recipes is all they need to do when
they cook at home.