Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default survival on $3 a day for food?

I read an interesting article in the San Diego UT the other day about this
business of food stamps. If you average out the number of users and the
cost, seems like it's one dollar per meal per person. Legislators were asked
to prove to their constituents that they could live on one dollar per meal.

I've been thinking and doodling on this over the weekend and think it may be
an interesting experiment to see just how well we could eat for just how
much, or little, money.

I'm starting with a few ounces of rice, a few ounces of beans, a few corn
tortillas, a heap of chiles and greens which will add up to less than a
dollar if I cook for the three daily meals. I have other ideas for following
days so as to not get really bored with it all.

Anybody have any ideas? Maybe we can help the FDA provide recipes along with
the dollar a meal for the indigent.

Wayne