Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] mandm593@hotmail.com is offline

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

On Jun 18, 11:38 am, maxine in ri > wrote:
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?
>
> maxine in ri

My mom and sister are in the same boat. We've found low-sodium baking
powder, and there's even a baking soda substitute out there (although
I have only found it on the internet, and it costs more to ship than
the product).

I use a lot of mustards (there are low- and no-sodium mustards
available -- check www.mustardmuseum.com for more mustard than you
ever imagined), and a lot of different vinegar.

My mom also found that sprinkling on a pepper blend with citric acid
(someone already mentioned Penzey's Florida Pepper) makes things taste
salty. It seems to work especially well with potatoes, which are one
of those foods that are almost not worth eating without salt.