Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini kilikini is offline

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> maxine in ri > dropped this turd
> oups.com: in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them,
>> I try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that
>> salt does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my
>> variations, but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>>
>> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
>> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes
>> curry or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy
>> food person.)
>>
>> What do others use in place of salt?
>>
>> maxine in ri
>>

> Maxine, I am not on a sodium restricted diet although it has been
> mentioned by my doctor. Knock on wood, the bp is normal and no more
> heart problems lately. OTOH, I have really cut back on salt where I
> can. I use Mrs. Dash products sometimes. Fresh lemon juice and
> cracked pepper is great on baked potatoes and some pasta dishes I
> make as well as fish. I use rosemary sometimes and it's amazing the
> zing and seasoning a smidge of powdered mustard will give to certain
> dishes. I rely on the Mrs. Dash line. They seem to have a decent
> mixture of spices and a wide variety of different mixes. Two that
> come to mind are the "Garlic and Herb" blend and one called a "Table
> Blend."
>
> Michael

I agree with Michael; lemon is excellent for seasoning. I rarely use salt
in anything. I use lemon, vinegar, herbs, oils, etc.

What I've learned from not using salt is that just about anything cooked
outside my house is not palatable. Everything else is *way* too salty.
It's kind of a bummer when you go out to a friend's house or a restaurant,
but I'll take a sensitive palate any day over a salt-laden one. :~)

kili