Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:38:10 -0000, maxine in ri >
wrote:

>My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
>try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
>does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
>but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
>I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
>without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
>or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
>person.)
>
>What do others use in place of salt?

Nothing... I use more pepper. Have you seen the various flavored
peppers in grinders? I keep lemon pepper in the grinder/jar on my
table.

Some things just need a little salt (no matter what you do) or else
they taste flat. I don't meant salting at the table though. The
amount of salt someone would normally add at the table would do for an
entire pot of soup, for instance.

--
See return address to reply by email