Posted to rec.food.cooking
BOBOBOnoBO® BOBOBOnoBO® is offline

Default What's the deal with peanut oil?

On Jun 17, 12:03 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article om>,
> Dee Dee > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 17, 4:17 am, Omelet > wrote:
> > > No. I only use it for deep frying but I may eventually get around to
> > > trying it for skillet use. Right now I use mostly EV olive oil, and
> > > sometimes Grape seed oil.

> > > <shudder> Sorry, I can't STAND Canola!
> > > I'd use corn oil before I'd use that.

> > I've not used Canola oil for a number of years now. I'm with you on
> > that.
> > Basically, I use: olive oil mostly; butter mixed with olive oil, too;
> > and organic coconut oil.

> Not tried coconut oil.
> I do add butter to olive oil for some things, mostly seafood.

I'm not flirting with you, as I'm a happily married man, but you are
my favorite person on r.f.cooking because your posts--IMO--tend to
suggest real improvements in people's cooking, and you do it w/o being
an asshole, which is one of my weaknesses.

> > I've had grape seed oil in my refrigerator for that "special use that
> > calls for it" and since I bought it, that specialty has never come
> > up.

> Steaksteaksteaksteaksteak! ;-D
> It has a nice clean flavor and a higher smoke point than Olive oil so
> you can really get a good sear.

Not the healthiest fat, but great for searing. Even better than lard.

> > I'd like to use it, (or a new updated jar), can you help me out; tell
> > me when I can use it.
> > Thanks, Om.
> > Dee Dee

> See above! <lol>
>
> It's nice to be able to really do a steak right in the skillet without
> smoking up the house.

I've got my wife and son so spoiled that they can't accept steak done
"right in the skillet." The only steak that's "right" is steak cooked
over flames, which most often means hickory wood, but also sometimes
partly the purified "anthracite" that is so reviled by certain folks
here. I always use wood, as I get it free from my sister's yard.

> It's also very nice as a salad oil.

Even I have never done THAT. I like salad with only a tiny bit of
oil, EVOO, and fresh squeezed lemon juice, with some grated Parmesan,
and Kraft is OK. See, I'm not a total food snob. Kraft Parmesan,
OK. Kraft Velveeta, not OK. I'm fine with no oil on salad.

Note to regulars, if I seem unusually nice right now, I've had a
couple of Sierra Nevada pale ales, and I seldom drink at all these
days, and alcohol has always tempered my snottiness.

> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan