Posted to rec.food.cooking
BOBOBOnoBO® BOBOBOnoBO® is offline

Default What's the deal with peanut oil?

On Jun 16, 8:34 am, Peter A > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > Seems like all of a sudden ...or maybe I just wasn't paying
> > attention... peanut oil has become the ******* stepchild of the
> > cooking oil world. Used to be buying a 32-64oz bottle of peanut oil
> > was no big thing. Always a couple choices amongst the usual
> > korn/canola/safflower and plain ol' veggie oil choices. No more! Now,
> > there is not a single offering of peanut oil from the big names, or
> > even house brands, on any of our major 3 supermarket chain's shelves.
> > The last one I saw was a 16oz bottle of Albertson's house brand. That
> > was 2 mos ago. It's now gone. All that remains are 12-16oz bottles
> > of a couple boutique brand peanut oils for the insane price of
> > $5.50-6.50 each. This is especially baffling when you consider the
> > large number of Asians who live in the SFBA and recent trends toward
> > Asian cuisine. Sure, I can buy peanut oil all day long at the
> > numerous all-Asian markets that dot The City and a couple other
> > places. Even Costco and Lowe's sell it in turkey fryer quantities.
> > Not at my local supers.

> > Is it just in my area or has anyone else noticed this disappearing
> > act?

> > nb

> I have been hard pressed to find peanut oil in supermarkets for a while.
> CostCo carries 5 gal containers. I like to get it at the Asian markets
> because their peanut oil tastes better - has a slight flavor of peanuts
> to it. But with the recent stories about food impurities in stuff from
> China, I wonder.

The following stores are owned by Supervalu:
Acme, Albertsons, bigg's, Bristol Farms, Cub Foods, Farm Fresh Food &
Pharmacy, Hornbacher's, Jewel-Osco, Shaw's/Star Market, Shop 'n Save,
Shoppers Food & Pharmacy and Sunflower Market.
Shop'n Save caries gallons of peanut oil, which are now selling for
$7.97/gal.
http://www.supervalu.com/sv-webapp/retail/retail.jsp

> --
> Peter Aitken