Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default What's the deal with peanut oil?

Seems like all of a sudden ...or maybe I just wasn't paying
attention... peanut oil has become the ******* stepchild of the
cooking oil world. Used to be buying a 32-64oz bottle of peanut oil
was no big thing. Always a couple choices amongst the usual
korn/canola/safflower and plain ol' veggie oil choices. No more! Now,
there is not a single offering of peanut oil from the big names, or
even house brands, on any of our major 3 supermarket chain's shelves.
The last one I saw was a 16oz bottle of Albertson's house brand. That
was 2 mos ago. It's now gone. All that remains are 12-16oz bottles
of a couple boutique brand peanut oils for the insane price of
$5.50-6.50 each. This is especially baffling when you consider the
large number of Asians who live in the SFBA and recent trends toward
Asian cuisine. Sure, I can buy peanut oil all day long at the
numerous all-Asian markets that dot The City and a couple other
places. Even Costco and Lowe's sell it in turkey fryer quantities.
Not at my local supers.

Is it just in my area or has anyone else noticed this disappearing
act?

nb