Posted to rec.food.equipment
jt august[_2_] jt august[_2_] is offline

Default Non Stick Wok or Not

In article >, Drew Cutter >
wrote:

> Peter this is my understanding also. I did find a seasoned wok on Amazon.

With no link to go on, I had to look for those myself. I found two.
One was a seasoned cast iron with a non-stick surface. AVOID! AVOID!
The other was a Joyce Chen with a flat bottom. Look at any chinese
restaurant and they all have round bottoms with rings. This is far
better. No corners to get bits stuck in, you and roll a wok to one side
or another to zone heat, a wok cooking technique when certain items are
added, and need searing before stirring in with the rest of the food.

And as to preseasoning, a waste of money up front. It only takes a few
seconds to season a wok with a paper towel and a bit of veggie oil, and
you usually need to get a wok that hot when you start cooking anyway.

jt