Judith Umbria

Default Jam crisis--inversion method stinks!

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Judith Umbria wrote:
> > "Christine" > wrote in message
> > , I admit I was lazy and decided to
> >
> >>try the 'inversion method' listed in the pectin recipe. Well, ten days
> >>later I found little bits of mold in the headspace of twelve jars of
> >>low-sugar strawberry jam.

> > I use this method always, and never have a problem, BUT, I keep a stock

pot
> > filled with simmering jars and lids which have been previously boiled.

> > pick each jar out with tongs, put it ON a kitchen towel, fill it, then

take
> > the lid out and cap it, closing it while wearing an oven glove.

Everything
> > is boiling hot when it goes together.
> >

> Do you use it for reduced-sugar jams and preserves, or just sugary
> jelly? I think it's probably just fine for jelly, but don't tell anyone
> I said that.
>
> Bob

I make 1 kilo fruit, 1/2 kilo sugar jam. I think that is reduced sugar, but
I don't really know. It's the main recipe on the Fruttapec packet. It
makes superb jam. It tastes much fruitier than what I used to make.
I occasionally get a jar that doesn't seal really well, so I give it to a
neighbor and tell them to eat it right away and refrigerate it. The rest
last up to two years, which is my run-out time. Most people here make tarts
with jam rather than eating it on toast or bread. That uses the jar up
instantly. My neighbors do the fruit and sugar cook all day thing, no
pectin. My jam is better.