Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default Cognac

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:36:15 -0400, wrote:

>I've got in in my head to try cognac for the first time. I'm not much of a
>drinker anymore. That part of my life came and went. I pretty much only drink
>red wine now, and enjoy cherry flavored brandy. I never developed a taste for
>the dark liquors, like scotch or rye. So I'm wondering what cognac would be
>like. All I know about it is that it seems to be a classy drink. My question,
>and forgive me for asking such a stupid one, is how do you drink it? I mean,
>temperature, serving size, etc. I've seen people in movies and on TV warming
>something up over a flame. Cognac or brandy? I did a little research and see the
>alcohol content is about 40% or 80 proof. But I know little else. Also brands?
>I'd appreciate any help in delving into this possible pleasure late in life.
>Thanks.

If you're really that clueless about brandy and cognac, don't spend
any money on a bottle of hooch right now. Go to a "better" bar and
get a shot of something you're interested in trying (if you don't know
what to try, ask the bartender)... buy at least 3 shots of three
different cognacs (or brandys) and line them up. Taste. Then go off
and buy a bottle of the one you liked.

--
See return address to reply by email