Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Cognac

In article >, rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...
> I've got in in my head to try cognac for the first time. I'm not much of a
> drinker anymore. That part of my life came and went. I pretty much only drink
> red wine now, and enjoy cherry flavored brandy. I never developed a taste for
> the dark liquors, like scotch or rye. So I'm wondering what cognac would be
> like. All I know about it is that it seems to be a classy drink. My question,
> and forgive me for asking such a stupid one, is how do you drink it? I mean,
> temperature, serving size, etc. I've seen people in movies and on TV warming
> something up over a flame. Cognac or brandy? I did a little research and see the
> alcohol content is about 40% or 80 proof. But I know little else. Also brands?
> I'd appreciate any help in delving into this possible pleasure late in life.
> Thanks.

Cognac, which is brandy made in the Cognac region of France, is best
drunk straight in a snifter, no ice.

Regular brandy, which is made in many places (Spain makes some lovely
ones) is versatile. I like brandy and soda. Of course you could use
cognac for this but I think it would be a waste of $$.

--
Peter Aitken