Deb

Default Shrinking Peaches

> I caught a hint in the FAQ that my problem may be cold-pack
versus
> hot-pack.
> Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Casey Wilson
> Freelance Writer and Photographer

That's been my experience. When I hot pack, the fruit has shrunk
before I put it into the jars. My jars stay full.

My Pop cans peaches and pears with cold pack in quarts. I hot pack
in 1.5 pints. We use the same amount of fruit for the same number
of jars. My jars look full, his don't.

Its not really too much trouble. I did have to learn how to
carefully place the hot fruit halves overlapping prettily in the jar
(Mom was so impressed). Just use a wooden spoon. And I never find
it necessary to use fruit fresh, because the fruit doesn't darken.

The other thing about hot pack is I use less sugar. I start with
one batch of light syrup and heat the fruit in it. As the fruit
heats, it juices out. There is always way too much syrup/juice for
the canner load. Last year I did 21 jars of pears with just 2 cups
of sugar. So much better for the diabetics and 'anti white sugar
freaks' in the family. ;>

Deb
--
(in Oregon, the pacific northWET) ;>