The Joneses

Default Canadian & USA altitudes

soTWEEDLEjourn wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > soTWEEDLEjourn wrote:
> > If you're at or less than 1000' elevation, JOP calls for 10 min.
> > for pint jars for cantaloupe pickles. I usually cut 5' for half pints. &
> > add mins as needed for altitude.
> > Edrena, lost in the clouds at 4,000 feet.

> I'm not really sure what the altitude is where I am: there are mountains
> northwest of here in Collingwood, Ont (for any Ontarians reading this) and
> it's part of the system that runs from the Niagara Escarpment and ends at the
> Scarborough bluffs in Toronto. In between the limestone escarpment peaks and
> then runs underground near Holland Marsh, rises again at Mt. Albert and so on.
> It's an up and down rollercoaster ride heading up Hwy 48 (please let an
> Ontarian help out with altitude). the 'valleys deep, mountains high'.
> Unfortunately it kind of puts me at a loss for knowing how to process. Is
> there a safe but happy medium? Would 10 minutes be safe? If it's any kind of
> indicator, I don't have problems baking and don't have to adjust baking times
> for altitude. If I had to guess to be safe, I'd put it at 1,000-1,500'.

Annie didja know your community has a website?
http://www.town.collingwood.on.ca/index.cfm
I didn't see anything in particular, but you could call perhaps the town hall who
has property records and have them research it. Maybe the liberry has something.
But first check the survey for your home. Mine is listed there.
Anyone else can check our FAQ which *used to* have a USA link to check elevations
as well as some recipes.. Here's one I found:

http://erg.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklet.../elvadist.html

I did find a Canadian site, but didn't check it out cause it wanted to download a
pile of stuff. Purports to have elevations for Canada.

http://etopo.ca/downloads.html#etopo

Edrena