Posted to alt.food.wine
Ed Rasimus Ed Rasimus is offline

Default good points and bad points about wine clubs

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:33:55 -0700, djay > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm a businessman looking at starting a new type of wine club. A wine
>club being where a membership fee gets our changing selection of wines
>delivered to you on a regular basis.
>
>If you're part of a club at the moment, I'd love to know what you like
>most and least about that club?
>
>What, if anything, would motivate you to change to another club (let's
>assume the pricing is similar)?
>
>If you used to be in a wine club, why did you leave?
>
>If you have thought or joining a club, what were your reasons for
>wanting to, and what made you consider one club over another?
>
>What if anything has stopped you joining a wne club?
>
>Bit of thinking excersise I know, but I'd love to hear what you guys
>have to say.
>
>Dylan.

It seems like you're jumping into a crowded pool. Unless you are
situated in the heart of the wine country (make that "A" wine country
somewhere,) you'll have a hard time coming up with quality offerings
at attractive prices that when coupled with packaging, shipping and
handling will still leave you with a profit margin.

Most wine lovers have been in a wine club or two at some time. They do
offer variety and insight into new experiences or varietals that you
might not try. But, more often they devolve into dumping grounds for
economy producers who have been unsuccessful in building market share
by other means. Occasionally there are pearls, but more often it is
simply swine swill.

More successful, at least in my experience, are the clubs from quality
vintners. These offer the wines of a specific producer that the member
is familiar with and which have a style that the member appreciates.
Over the years I've been a member of Ridge, Pine Ridge/Archery Summit,
Justin, Fife, Williams Selyem and other such clubs. They offer quality
wines, discounts for follow-up purchase and opportunity to familiarize
the fan with the wine-making style of that company.

Unless you've got some particular insight into wine marketing, some
unusual connection to the industry, some large amount of venture
capital, or some fantastic hook to set you apart from the masses, I'd
caution against jumping into this pool--it may look wide, but it
isn't deep and therein lie dragons.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"