The Joneses

Default Making Jelly

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Pete"
> > wrote:
>
> > Got a question that might seem dumb but can I use a pot with a non stick
> > surface for making jelly? Seems that I am under the impression that it
> > can't for some reason but wanted to make sure before I made jelly soon.
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> I can't think of any reason to not use one if it's large enough to
> contain a good rolling boil. While admittedly not the same, I use a
> non-stick-coated dutch oven for making my fruit butters -- and they'll
> still burn if I'm not Ever Vigilant! (A timer, set for five minutes,
> helps me out!)
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 6/20/04.

Sounds like a good idear. I had a related experience. I went from a standard
stock pot sort of pot (a trifle heavier than lighter) to a saucepan with a
very heavy bottom. I thought it would simmer more evenly or something. Turns
out the heavier pan kept the heat longer, even after I took it off the fire.
I think a lighter weight pan would heat up lots quicker and maybe burn. A
thought anyway. I have so few I can't afford to waste them.
Edrena