Kathi

Default Jelly leftovers?

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message m>...
> I've made jam for many years now, but this is the year I'm going to try my
> hand at jelly. I ordered a jelly stand and bag so I'm ready to go.
>
> I think I'll start with strawberry jelly, or maybe strawberry-rhubarb jelly
> if our little rhubarb patch has enough mature stalks. Good farmers' market
> strawberries run $3.50-$4.00 per quart, so this will be expensive jelly!
>
> I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that you can use the fruit left
> in the jelly bag for something -- maybe some kind of jam? Anyone know what
> I'm talking about or have some recipes? Shelf space I got, but freezer
> space is at a minimum so I prefer something that can be canned.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anny

I'll be strawberry picking tomorrow morning - season has finally
started here. We eat the best of what we pick fresh, but eventually
they start to get a bit mushy, at which point I freeze 'em. Then on a
fairly cool day I thaw 'em to make several different kinds of
strawberry jams. I thaw them in a colander over a big bowl, and what
drips (not squeezed or forced out) out becomes jelly, what's left in
the colander becomes jam. Nothing gets wasted, the jelly is full
flavoured and wonderful, as is the jam. Sometimes the thawing process
doesn't yield enough juice right away, so I pop it back in to the
freezer and keep adding (each time I thaw berries for another batch of
jam) to the container until I have enough for a batch of jelly.

Kathi