Posted to rec.food.cooking
~~ Shelly ~~[_2_] ~~ Shelly ~~[_2_] is offline

Default Seeking advice on roast cut

Hi. I'm planning to try to recreate a simple meal that a small sandwich
shop in town used to make. The shop has been shut down now due to the
owner's retirement, and my kids and I miss his 'Dinner in a Cup' meal.

The owner/cook would take a roast and braise it overnight. Then he'd remove
the meat and shred it, and use Au Jois (sp) mix to make up a very rich dark
gravy. Then the meat would be added to the gravy, and layered in a pint
container with mashed potatoes. God it was good!!!

So I figure that if I cooked a roast in a crock pot and made gravy with AJ
mix, I should have a reasonable 'wannabe' meal.

My real question is advice on what kind of roast to get. The original cook
told me what cut he used, but I couldn't find it in the grocery store and
have now forgotten what he called it. I believe he said it came from one
end of a larger cut that round steaks come from. Anyone here have an idea?

I am also wondering if I should completely cover the roast, or use just a
cup or two of water since a crock pot usually requires less water when
cooking.

Suggestions welcome.

TIA
~~ Shelly ~~