Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] maddoxd8@yahoo.com is offline

Default Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

On Jun 9, 3:38 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 9, 1:26 pm, " BOB" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com

The temperature is uneven across the surface of my Traeger 075. I
see
a variation of as much as 40 degrees from the temp probe (left) end
to the middle. I know that it gets even hotter the further I go to
the right. Traeger says that difference is even greater as you go
up in temperature. They act like this as something that must be
lived with
if you want to use their grill. I was told when I purchase the
grill that the temperature was uniform asross the surface.

Has anyone else observed this and is there anything that can be done
to distribute the heat more evenly. People appear to be using this
grill and not having an issue with it. I just can't see how you can
put a couple of brisket on this thing without getting varying
degrees
of doneness from one end to the other of the grill.

Enlighten me. Please.

Use these temperature differences to your advantage. Put the larger
brisket in the hotter area. Or the larger end in the hotter area.
Or, you can put the butts or chicken in the hotter area. I cook
ribs hotter than butts or brisket. Ribs can go in the hotter
portion.
The bottom rack of my Stump's Smoker is hotter than the others.
That's where I cook the chicken or veggies.
Smoking meats isn't rocket surgery.

BOB

I agree. It isn't surgery. Unfortunately the way that I cook brisket
is based on a known external temp, and known internal temps. Not
having an even temp across the smoker, especially when you cook more
than one brisket, complicates things.

It's not *that* complicated. But, if you don't like the pit maybe you could
sell it and get a coupla WSMs. Or maybe a Cookshack.
--
Davewww.davebbq.com- Hide quoted text -

If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.