Melba's Jammin'

Default canning for lunch on the go

In article >, Dave
> wrote:

> Hi all, I'm currently looking into canning not necessary for long-term
> preservation, but as a way of saving $$. I am returning to school
> after ~7 years of working and am married with a daughter so I don't
> exactly have time to make meals every day. I have even less $$ to be
> eating out all the time like I've been doing. Since I'm also on
> Atkins, meals at the university are a bit of a dilema. I have access
> to microwaves, and that's it.

> My plan is to cook something up, say some chicken curry or something,
> can a bunch of it (one pint jars), and take a jar to school every day.
> To eat. I assume these jars are microwave safe?

Sure. Take the lid and ring off before heating. :-) I'd seriously
consider bringing along a bowl to heat in, though - get the mass broader
and shallower for better heating.

> Do any of you do canning for this purpose?

Not me.

>I am hoping that by canning instead of feezing, a) I don't have to
>defrost something for five minutes in the microwave b) not take up my
>freezer space, c) since (b), I can make a larger variety of choices
>for lunch.

Personally, I'd opt for freezing. You can pull a package from the
freezer in the morning and it can be thawed or well on its way to being
thawed by lunch time (especially if the shape is on the shallow and wide
side) -- freeze it in one of those expendable ZipLoc bowls -- I believe
they're micro-safe. JMO.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 5/16/04.
Less than a month until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop