Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
pearl pearl is offline

On Jun 6, 2:01 am, "Kadaitcha Man" > wrote:
> Cooked meat

"The natural food of man, judging from his structure, appears
to consist principally of the fruits, roots, and other succulent
parts of vegetables. His hands afford every facility for
gathering them; his short but moderately strong jaws on the
other hand, and his canines being equal only in length to the
other teeth, together with his tuberculated molars on the
other, would scarcely permit him either to masticate herbage,
or to devour flesh, were these condiments not previously
prepared by cooking."
-- Georges Cuvier (1769-1832), Regne Animal, Vol 1, p73

['Without a doubt, Georges Cuvier possessed one of the
finest minds in history. Almost single-handedly, he founded
vertebrate paleontology as a scientific discipline and created
the comparative method of organismal biology, an incredibly
powerful tool. It was Cuvier who firmly established the fact
of the extinction of past lifeforms. He contributed an immense
amount of research in vertebrate and invertebrate zoology and
paleontology, and also wrote and lectured on the history of
science. ..'
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/cuvier.html ]

> can be eaten and digested in
> a small fraction of the time it takes to eat and digest raw meat. Also,
> cooked bones are far more easily broken than raw bones, thus the marrow is
> more easily exposed for consumption. Furthermore cooked meat does not
> deteriorate anywhere nearly as rapdily as raw meat.

Asia Pacific J Clin Nutr (1996) Vol5, No 1: 2-9
Intestinal flora and human health
Tomotari Mitsuoka, DVM, PhD
Professor Emeritus, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Other intestinal bacteria produce substances that are harmful to
the host, such as putrefactive products, toxins and carcinogenic
substances. When harmful bacteria dominate in the intestines,
essential nutrients are not produced and the level of harmful
substances rises. These substances may not have an immediate
detrimental effect on the host but they are thought to be
contributing factors to ageing, promoting cancer, liver and kidney
disease, hypertension and arteriosclerosis, and reduced immunity.
Little is known regarding which intestinal bacteria are responsible
for these effects. A number of factors can change the balance of
intestinal flora in favour of harmful bacteria. These include
peristalsis disorders, surgical operations of stomach or small
intestine, liver or kidney diseases, pernicious anaemia, cancer,
radiation or antibiotic therapies, immune disorders, emotional
stress, poor diet and ageing.
The intestinal flora may play an important role in the causation
of cancer and ageing

Dietary factors are considered important environmental risk
determinants for colorectal cancer development. From
epidemiological observations, a high fat intake is associated
positively and a high fibre intake negatively with colorectal cancer.
This is thought to occur by the following mechanisms. From food
components in the gastrointestinal tract, organisms produce
various carcinogens from the dietary components and endogenous
substances, detoxify carcinogens, or enhance the host's immune
function, which results in changes in the incidence of cancers. The
ingestion of large amounts of animal fat enhances bile secretion,
causing an increase in bile acid and cholesterol in the intestine.
These increased substances are converted by intestinal bacteria
into secondary bile acids, their derivatives, aromatic polycyclic
hydrocarbons, oestrogen and epoxides derivatives that are
related to carcinogenesis. Various tryptophan metabolites (indole,
skatole, 3-hydroxykinurenine, 3-hydroxyanthranilic acid, etc.)
phenols, amines, and nitroso compounds produced by intestinal
bacteria from protein also participate in carcinogenesis (Fig. 5).
Figure 5. Relationships among diet, intestinal bacteria and cancer.

Recent epidemiological studies have revealed that insufficient intake
of dietary fibre is associated with high incidences of Western
diseases such as colorectal cancer, obesity, heart disease, diabetes,
and hypertension. Ingested dietary fibre causes increased volume
of faeces, dilution of noxious substances, and shortening of the
transit time of intestinal contents, resulting in early excretion of
noxious substances such as carcinogens produced by intestinal
bacteria. '
http://elecpress.monash.edu.au/APJCN.../51p02.htm#top

> So, you can take my assertion of a more general reference to "eating
> protein-rich meat"

<coff>

> to a more specific reference of "eating cooked meat".

Were some magical ingredient in flesh is responsible for brain
development, then why don't (real) carnivores have MASSIVE
brains, eh?