Posted to alt.usenet.kooks,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
dh@. dh@. is offline

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:35:55 -0700, Rupert > wrote:

>On Jun 5, 6:06 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
>> "Kadaitcha Man" > wrote in message

>> > Dutch > Thou issue of a mangy dog. Thou damnable fellow. Ye
>> > afforded:

>> > Suppose, for one moment, that all vegans suddenly discover that their
>> > bodies
>> > are lacking in a certain mineral or enzyme (et al) and that they will die
>> > horrible deaths over the space of a month due to the supposed lack. Also
>> > suppose that they must do what the man below did or die horribly because
>> > the
>> > life-saving ingredient cannot be obtained any other way:

>> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070605/...uk_china_frogs

>> > How many vegans do you suppose will succumb to their innate will to live
>> > thereby ****ing off their alleged "moral commitment"?

>> > I say damn near every one of them would. So then, what value is the "moral
>> > commitment"?

>> I've made that same point without the extreme hypothetical. It's more common
>> than they are willing to admit that vegetarians experience failure to thrive
>> on their diets, and many if not most of them experience serious
>> psychological difficulties in deciding to go back to a more "normal" diet. I
>> am sure that many suffer unecessary physical harm because of this.

>When you say it's "unnecessary", that's your judgement. I would
>maintain that the suffering caused to nonhuman animals by the
>widespread practice of eating meat is "unnecessary", you would be the
>first to point out that

· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
in order to be successful:

Tires, Paper, Upholstery, Floor waxes, Glass, Water
Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer, Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides,
Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen,
Heparin, Insulin, Solvents, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides,
Gelatin Capsules, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
Plywood, Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
Wrap and Tape, Abrasives, Steel Ball Bearings

being vegan. ·
.. . .
>Some unnecessary harm may come from vegan diets, but far more
>unnecessary harm comes from eating meat, even if we just talk about
>harm to humans.

Let's not worry about harm to humans. Think about this instead:

· From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised

Here we see plowing:
http://tinyurl.com/8fmxe

and here harrowing:
http://tinyurl.com/zqr2v

both of which kill animals by crushing, mutilation, suffocation,
and exposing them to predators. We can see that planting
kills in similar ways:
http://tinyurl.com/k6sku

and death from herbicides and pesticides needs to be
kept in mind:
http://tinyurl.com/ew2j5

Harvesting kills of course by crushing and mutilation, and
it also removes the surviving animals' food, and it exposes
them to predators:
http://tinyurl.com/otp5l

In the case of rice there's additional killing as well caused
by flooding:
http://tinyurl.com/qhqx3

and later by draining and destroying the environment which
developed as the result of the flooding:
http://tinyurl.com/rc9m3

Cattle eating grass rarely if ever cause anywhere near
as much suffering and death. ·
http://tinyurl.com/q7whm