Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default 3 Ways In Which You Can Save Money And Enjoy Delicious Home Cooked Meals

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>> 3 Ways In Which You Can Save Money And Enjoy Delicious Home
>>> Cooked Meals
>>> by Katherine Saab
>>>

>>> Top 4 Reasons to hire a Personal Chef.
>>>

>> Funny how the article says 4 reasons but the subject of the post
>> says 3. Apparently this "personal chef" can't count. I fail to see
>> how paying someone else do to the cooking is going to save money.
>>
>> OB Food: Made a loaf of cornbread in my trusty cast iron skillet.
>>
>> 1 cup medium yellow cornmeal
>> 1 c. white flour
>> up to 1/4 c. sugar (I use one Tablespoon)
>> 4 tsp. baking powder
>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>> 1/4 c. butter, shortening or bacon grease
>> 1 c. buttermilk
>> 1 large egg, lightly beaten
>>
>> Blend the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl; stir in the butter
>> (softened), shortening or bacon grease. Add the buttermilk and egg
>> and stir well. Mixture will be a little lumpy. Pour into a lightly
>> greased pan (I use an 8" cast iron skillet or sectioned cast iron
>> corn muffin pan). Bake at 425F until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
>>
>> Jill

> And for those avoiding wheat flour:
>
> Cornbread
>
> 1 cup cornmeal
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon soda
> 1 cup corn, cream-style
> 2 eggs; slightly beaten
> 2/3 cup buttermilk
> 1/3 cup shortening; melted
> 1 cup cheese, cheddar; shredded
>
> Combine all ingredients, except shredded cheese, in a bowl. Mix well
> and pour half the batter into a hot, greased 9" baking pan. Sprinkle
> cheese on top, and cover with remaining batter. Bake at 375 degrees
> for 30 to 40 minutes.
>
> Yield: 9 servings

I don't have a problem with flour but if you want to get into a cornbread
war we could add sliced jalapenos Or make corn muffins or even
cornsticks. I have a nice cast iron cornstick pan!

Just got soaking wet on the patio and no, it wasn't a wet t-shirt contest!
I was filling the birdbath and the jug I keep handy to fill the bird bath;
the hose got away from me and decided to dance all around. Remember those
silly toys from the 1960's? What was it called, the Wiggle Worm? (or
something like that). Felt good to be doused by the cold water considering
it's in the 90's this afternoon. It's gonna be a *hot* summer.

Jill