Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default beef jerky

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Shereign Weiser wrote:
>> Hello all
>>
>> I want to make some beef jerkey from some ground beef. I know i can use
>> tenderquick as it has all the necessary thingies in it, but how much do i
>> use to say a pound or more. Buying the ones from American harvest gets
>> expensive and want to try and make some of my own flavores. Thanks

> Why do you want to use ground beef? Buy a beef rump roast and slice it up
> and you'll have a much nicer (and safer imho) final product. Beef round
> steak also works pretty good, cut into strips, if you find round steak on
> sale. (clipped) . Don't let it get too hot; at least until it is mostly
> dried out -- you don't want the meat to drip.
>
> If you want to experiment with different seasonings, some interesting ones
> to try adding a liquid smoke (obviously), nutmeg, ground coriander,
> cinnamon, ginger, or allspice. But try it with just salt, brown sugar,
> and pepper first. HTH
> Bob

I have never used the commercial preparations. I looked at the ingredient
list...
I use round steak, cut about 3/8" thick. I found that an electric knife
was not easier. Plonk into the Salvation Army box. What is easier is a razor
sharp knife. If you go buy the DH a power sharpener grinder dealy, he will
sharpen your knives and like it. Umm Power Tools!
My favorite seasonings are 1 tsp pickling salt (small grain dissolves
quickly), 1/2 tsp chipotle powder, clove or two of garlic finely minced, 1
tbls. of Worcestershire sauce per pound. And one tsp salt more for the
batch. Mix into about 1/2 c. water per lb. Soak covered overnight in fridge
in big deep bowl, stirring/tossing often. Dry at 145-155F. I got directions
somewhere for pasteurizing in the oven after for a specific number of
minutes. I'll dig it out. I don't bother.
I found if I sealed the very dry jerky into mason jars with the Tilia, it
kept for over a year with no loss of taste. And I didn't die. Storing the
stuff in anything else let to mold sooner or later (brown paper lunch bags
were best). Unless you store in freezer. Fridgerator will slow this down
considerably, but I didn't want to take up fridge space.
Do you like the texture of hamburger or just the ease in shaping, etc.?
And what % of lean do you use?
Edrena