Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

"Yahoo News" > wrote in message
> Dave- Did you write the FAQ?

The FAQ was written by a group of us from the old Smokering BBQ list. It
was then edited by Bill Wight into the final form.

I'm really curious about the comments on
> Brisket. The auther writes that 18-20 hrs is too long as the meat dries
> out. I agree with that but don't really know why. Sometimes my brisket
> takes 16-18 hrs and are absolutely succulent, next time ....dry. I have
> great control with my Goodwin smoker, and I keep dialed in close to 225
> deg.
> I saw where the author will smoke for 10 hrs and then wrap and insulate to
> let it keep cooking. This makes sense on so many levels, not to mention
> I'm not crazy anout missing sleep. What internal temp do you need to be at
> before you are comfortable with wrapping the brisket? I'm guessing mine
> are usually in that 165 degree zone at the 10 hr mark ( 8 lb packer)
> Appreciate your input. - Gregg

There are many ways to get the end result. I cook mine at 250 for about 12
to 14 hours. I don't wrap the brisket at all and never found it necessary.
The rendering fat and breaking down of the collagen acts as a natural
coolant and moisturizer. When the temperature internal hits 190 to 195, it
is done. You may notice it will hang out at about 160 for a very long time
and then gradually rise.