Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bilz Bilz is offline

Default Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

On May 29, 3:01 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Bilz wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. All of the apple juice was to keep the ribs
> > moist.

> It's impossible to keep any meat moist by the application of extrnal
> liquids. That is one of the biggest myths in cooking, including bbq. The
> biggest enemies of bbqing meat is the incorrect amount of time for the
> temperature used for the type of meat to be cooked. And even more important
> is air movement. Low heat and air movement are what's used to preserve meat
> via dehydration.
>
> Continuous high temperature spikes instead of a low, steady temperature is
> one indication that there is too much air movement in the pit.
>
> > I did ribs once before, and they were a bit dry. I was
> > actually following a recipe in the "BBQ Bible" cookbook. It told me
> > to spray the ribs down every half hour. I will try again without ever
> > opening the pit.

> Steve Raichlen confuses bbq with grilling, and grilling with bbq. IMO, he is
> not the best authority out there.
>
> > What temperature is a good one to maintain?

> For spares, I like 250 to 275. For babybacks, which I don't care for, I
> prefer 220F. For beef ribs, I treat 'em like prime rib and do 'em at 350F
>
> > Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven at 250 in a
> > braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the smoker. Anyone
> > with experience with doing something like this?

> Since we're talking bbq, an oven has no place. However, if you want to oven
> roast ribs just keep 'em in the oven til done. Plopping them on the pit at
> the last minute won't make it bbq.
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

Thanks for all the notes. It helps a lot. I had a to of success with
my Webber kettle, but have only recently switched to a more suitable
smoker. My confidence with my kettle and my success with my first try
with the smoker (whole chicken) gave me unfounded confidence with my
new smoker... so I invited a bunch of friends over.

I will keep trying, and add a few mods to the smoker suggested in the
FAQ. I really like the fire bricks and sealing the doors of the
smoker. Unfortunately, it leaks a ton. Some sort of silicone gaskets
would be very useful.

Is there any specific product that works well for creating gaskets for
the lids and junctions?