Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

Bilz wrote:

> Thanks for the info. All of the apple juice was to keep the ribs
> moist.

It's impossible to keep any meat moist by the application of extrnal
liquids. That is one of the biggest myths in cooking, including bbq. The
biggest enemies of bbqing meat is the incorrect amount of time for the
temperature used for the type of meat to be cooked. And even more important
is air movement. Low heat and air movement are what's used to preserve meat
via dehydration.

Continuous high temperature spikes instead of a low, steady temperature is
one indication that there is too much air movement in the pit.

> I did ribs once before, and they were a bit dry. I was
> actually following a recipe in the "BBQ Bible" cookbook. It told me
> to spray the ribs down every half hour. I will try again without ever
> opening the pit.

Steve Raichlen confuses bbq with grilling, and grilling with bbq. IMO, he is
not the best authority out there.

> What temperature is a good one to maintain?

For spares, I like 250 to 275. For babybacks, which I don't care for, I
prefer 220F. For beef ribs, I treat 'em like prime rib and do 'em at 350F

> Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven at 250 in a
> braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the smoker. Anyone
> with experience with doing something like this?

Since we're talking bbq, an oven has no place. However, if you want to oven
roast ribs just keep 'em in the oven til done. Plopping them on the pit at
the last minute won't make it bbq.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com