Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cindi - HappyMamatoThree Cindi - HappyMamatoThree is offline

Default Diabetic problem with sugar in bacon?

"Phred" > wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> A diabetic friend was telling me this evening that when he eats out
> for breakfast he ends up with rapidly spiralling blood sugar levels
> following eating at one particular cafe in town.
>
> Whichever cafe he eats at, he orders bacon, eggs, and sausage; plus
> coffee and two slices of toast. [I think you yanks may call sausages
> "links"?]
>
> I suggested the problem may be due to more than the usual
> contamination of the snags with cereal products at that particular
> outlet; but he was adament it had to be a *sugar* rather than more
> complex carbohydrates that caused the problem for him because the rise
> in blood sugar was so rapid.
>
> He did say he thought it might be the bacon because, while it tasted
> pretty much as you would expect bacon to taste, there was a subtle
> difference in flavour compared to "normal" bacon at other places.
>
> Coincidentally, one of the threads here in RFC tonight concerned
> "Canadian bacon" which someone referred to as "sweet pickle-cured
> bacon". That made me wonder if there is indeed a bacon which is cured
> with rather more sugar in the brew than traditionalists might expect?

There is brown-sugar bacon which is coated in a glaze before slicing. Though
that isn't as likely to the culprit as the other things he is eating.

For me my sugars will rise far more quickly with complex carbs, especially
when they are combined with fatty foods. Bacon and toast for example has
both so together can cause a more pronounced rise than either one alone.

If he is eating grits or potatoes, it will only compound the problem. If he
truly thinks it is the bacon then the best way to determine that would
probably be to try each food separately and see what happens.

Cindi