Posted to rec.food.cooking
Emma Thackery Emma Thackery is offline

Default Still think the FDA Works for Consumers?

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Emma Thackery wrote:
> And as usual in the last few years, I
> > guess we can count on the FDA to come down on the side of hoodwinking
> > consumers in favor of greater industry profit.

> As long as the ingredient list on the side of the package was still
> accurate as to which products contain cocoa butter and which contain
> vegetable oil, this doesn't seem like a top priority to me.

Your scenario not only defies logic (and ethics) by legitimizing
dishonest labeling but also places an undue burden by requiring the
consumer to take extra time while shopping to read each ingredient list
to determine if the label is even accurate or not! For multiple
products, this could become very time consuming. Industry is banking on
consumers not reading the labels.

Moreover, ingredient lists do not tell you how much of an ingredient is
in a product so the manufacturer, by the rule you would sanction, could
put in the tiniest amount of chocolate possible and still label the item
as a chocolate bar.

> ...Sure I'd like the labeling rules to remain the same, but it's not
> information is being withheld or anyone is being hoodwinked.

Since when is calling one thing another honest? Check your premises.