Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default Still think the FDA Works for Consumers?

Emma Thackery wrote:
And as usual in the last few years, I
> guess we can count on the FDA to come down on the side of hoodwinking
> consumers in favor of greater industry profit.

As long as the ingredient list on the side of the package was still
accurate as to which products contain cocoa butter and which contain
vegetable oil, this doesn't seem like a top priority to me. Sure I'd
like the labeling rules to remain the same, but it's not information is
being withheld or anyone is being hoodwinked. People who care would
learn to ignore the word "chocolate" in big letters on the front of the
package and would further learn to pay attention to the ingredients.

I'd be outraged if FDA changed its rules to say that it was O.K. to
advertise "pure chocolate made with real cocoa butter" if that wasn't
the case.

--Lia