Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Still think the FDA Works for Consumers?

In article >,
says...
> While I suspect this story goes back a ways, I only heard today on
> KCRW's "Good Food" that the FDA is considering a new definition for
> chocolate which would allow other plant oils to sub for real cocoa
> butter. It seemed like they were saying that a product might not have
> any chocolate and still be called chocolate. Anyone else aware of this?
> I have not heard it at all on the MSM.
>
> Emma

At present, to be called chocolate an item has to contain cocoa butter,
the fat that comes from cocoa beans. The industry proposal would allow
an item to be made with corn oil and other fats and still be called
chocolate.

The advantage of cocoa butter is that it melts right about at body temp,
so it gives that great mouth-feel that is one of the nice things about
good chocolate.

--
Peter Aitken