Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] is offline

Default Red wine: the older the better, and white?

"DaleW" > skrev i meddelandet
ups.com...
> On May 18, 4:27?pm, joe beppe > wrote:
>>Huge Johnson is
>> the more trussworthy of the 3.
>>

> Sorry to go offtopic, but "Huge Johnson is trussworthy" sounds like a
> bad promo for some S&M porn.
>
> Count me as a fan of both the Hugh Johnson pocket book and Jancis's
> Oxford Companion.
>>
>> White Burgundy/Chablis-US=Chardonnay
>> Viognier
>> Fiano di Avellino
>> Champagne
>> all dry
>>

> I'm with Nils, not a fan of aging Viognier (and think Grillet is most
> overpriced wine around).
>
> Dry Alsace wines, especially Riesling, can age well -witness Clos Ste.
> Hune. Austrian Riesling and GV also. Australian Semillion. White dry
> Bordeaux. Not all ageable Chenin Blanc is sweet- Savennieres and
> Vouvray sec can go 20 years. White Rioja can age for decades.

As second wine in that flight where the first was a 1959 Gwz, from the same
producer, and same year (not clear if same location - riesling and gwz don't
always do their best at same location) was an Alsace "1:er cru" (sic)
Riesling. This was not bad, and slightlöy better than the gwz, but I had
great difficulty telling the varietal despite people around me yelling
"slate" and "petroleum" ... on the whole, I would think that some of the
German Rieslings do better in the long run.

Another white with some aging potential which I think has been overlooked is
Northern Rhone Marsanne (Hermitage, namely). Even a lowly Croze will benefit
greatly from a few years in the cellar, in my opinion.
No doubt some of the good Marsannes from e g Oz may prove to grow better in
the cave.

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se