Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default Red wine: the older the better, and white?

On May 18, 4:27?pm, joe beppe > wrote:
>Huge Johnson is
> the more trussworthy of the 3.

Sorry to go offtopic, but "Huge Johnson is trussworthy" sounds like a
bad promo for some S&M porn.

Count me as a fan of both the Hugh Johnson pocket book and Jancis's
Oxford Companion.

> White Burgundy/Chablis-US=Chardonnay
> Viognier
> Fiano di Avellino
> Champagne
> all dry

I'm with Nils, not a fan of aging Viognier (and think Grillet is most
overpriced wine around).

Dry Alsace wines, especially Riesling, can age well -witness Clos Ste.
Hune. Austrian Riesling and GV also. Australian Semillion. White dry
Bordeaux. Not all ageable Chenin Blanc is sweet- Savennieres and
Vouvray sec can go 20 years. White Rioja can age for decades.

> Rieslings- Spatlese or sweeter
> Barsac/Sauterne
> Loire whites from Chenin Blanc
> Tokai
> Porto
> all sweet-

Porto? While I've seen white porto, I don't think it's too age. VP is
pretty definitely red.

You can add VT & SGN Alsaces from all grapes.

I agree that 90+% (probably 99%) of wine isn't intended to age. And
that includes examples from each of the above categories.