Posted to alt.food.wine
joe beppe joe beppe is offline

Default Red wine: the older the better, and white?

On May 17, 4:56 pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
> On May 17, 11:11 am, UC > wrote:
>
> > On May 17, 12:12 am, Ramon F Herrera > wrote:

> > > Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> > > enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> > > when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.

> > > But what about white wine and age?

> > > -Ramon

> > You need to learn a lot more about wine. Try getting a good book.

> UC, I am wanting to chose between 3 books, Sotheby's, the new Hugh
> Johnson coming out in September, or Oxford. Which one do YOU like the
> best and/or would recommend for a novice.
> Thanks.
> Dee

UC only reads books about Italian wines, printed in Italy or certain
Sicilian neighborhoods. All three books come from the UK where the
role of wine writer and seller are often overlapping, Huge Johnson is
the more trussworthy of the 3.

Only about 10% of vin rouge are worthy of age
For vin blanc its 5% tops:

White Burgundy/Chablis-US=Chardonnay
Viognier
Fiano di Avellino