Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default Red wine: the older the better, and white?

On May 17, 12:12 am, Ramon F Herrera > wrote:
> Despite being completely partial to red wine, I have been known to
> enjoy a glass of white from time to time. It is my understanding that
> when it comes to red, normally, "the older, the better" rule applies.
>
> But what about white wine and age?
>
> -Ramon

I would classify "the older, the better" as a gross generalization in
regards to red wines. Some reds benefit from a bit of cellar time
allowing the tannins to soften and the flavors to integrate however
most red wines today are meant to be consumed on release. Bordeaux is
probably the best known red wine for aging (as is Port) but there are
plenty of wines from a variety of grapes and regions that can gain
complexity and depth with age but to many it's an aquired taste.
White wines are best consumed young with a few exceptions. Sauturnes
tend to age fairly well as do many sweet white wines. White Burgundy
can age well but there has been an issue of premature oxidation in the
past few years. As usual there is no hard and fast rule and let your
palate, your wallet and your wine purveyor be your guide. Hope this
helps.