Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini kilikini is offline

Default Tried new (to us) restaurant

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:

>>> Had I seen "meat" ravioli on the menu I would have quickly departed.
>>>
>>> Sheldon

>> May I ask why? Is a meat ravioli non-traditional? I'm not Italian,
>> so I don't know.
>>
>> kili

> Sheldon's not Italian either I tend to think of meat ravioli as
> the Chef-Boyardee type although I'm sure that's just silly. I do
> prefer simple cheese filled ravioli or spinach-ricotta.
>
> Jill

I always go for a cheese based ravioli myself, Jill, but I'm also thinking
of other fillings like squash ravioli, lobster ravioli, mushroom
ravioli.....I'm just questioning the thinking that if it's just cheese or
veggies and cheese, does that make it more Italian than a meat filling?
Plus, you can make a myriad of different sauces to go on any of them.
Pesto, alfredo (let's not start *that* argument), marinara, etc.

Maybe none of these are authentic, but I'm wondering what *is* authentic.
According to Wikipedia, meat fillings are used in Italy as well as cheese
and veggie mixtures and the ravioli originated from the idea of the wonton
from Chinese cooking. Wontons generally have pork or some sort of meat
inside of them.

May we get some help from true Italians on what constitutes a "real" filling
for ravioli?

kili