Derric

Default Pressure Canner

> Just for interest sake, I have the instruction booklet that came with my
> mother's Vacola. In those days (1930s) they used to give instructions for
> 'bottling' (canning) meat such as rabbit,lamb and lots of other stuff. the
> instructions say to do the processing normally and then a couple of days
> later to reheat again before storing. A botulism delight just waiting to
> happen.

I've actually seen "sterilization" instructions where you boil three
times, each time about a day apart. Since only botulism spores survive
the boiling, the idea is to kill the bacteria after it hatches(?) from
the spores. In 2 or 3 days, all the spores should have hatched, I guess.
Note that I'm not recommending this process and haven't researched it
at all - I've only seen it mentioned.