Deb

Default Pressure Canner

"Fran" > wrote in >
> Just for interest sake, I have the instruction booklet that came

with my
> mother's Vacola. In those days (1930s) they used to give

instructions for
> 'bottling' (canning) meat such as rabbit,lamb and lots of other

stuff. the
> instructions say to do the processing normally and then a couple

of days
> later to reheat again before storing. A botulism delight just

waiting to
> happen.

Rather like the stories my Dad tells me of how Gramma used to can
meats and veggies with a wood cookstove and the old fashioned jars.
All day long stoking the stove and cooking the food for many hours.

Sheesh, it took me all day just to get the jars ready to stick in
the canner. Then I only had to watch the gauge for 75 min. I DO
appreciate how good we have it now. ;>

Deb
--
(in Oregon, the pacific northWET) ;>