Fran

Default Pressure Canner

"Deb" > wrote in message
> "Fran" > wrote in message

> <<<<<snip>>>>>>
> > I've never seen or heard of any Australian ever using a pressure

> canner. A
> > pressure cooker, yes: but that isn't the same thing. Do you have

> any real
> > objections to using a Vacola like everyone else does?
> >

> I resisted the urge to ask for an explanation and googled Vacola all
> by myself. ;>

> What I see is an electric BWB system. Cool, I wish I had one of the
> electric ones..... Fowler's only recommends preserving pickled
> vegetables and fruits.
>
> But it doesn't address the needs for a pressure canner.

No it doesn't adress it but since the pressure canners and the jars and
anything else one needs for what Americans call "canning" are not available
in Aus, I don't really think there is a suitable answer for Andrew unless he
imports everything. Given the exchange rate this would be very expensive.

> Low acid foods, such as vegetables and meats, should be processed at
> 240* F, which can only be accomplished by using pressure. Hence the
> need for a pressure canner.

Just for interest sake, I have the instruction booklet that came with my
mother's Vacola. In those days (1930s) they used to give instructions for
'bottling' (canning) meat such as rabbit,lamb and lots of other stuff. the
instructions say to do the processing normally and then a couple of days
later to reheat again before storing. A botulism delight just waiting to
happen.