Deb

Default Pressure Canner

"Fran" > wrote in message
u...
<<<<<snip>>>>>>
> I've never seen or heard of any Australian ever using a pressure

canner. A
> pressure cooker, yes: but that isn't the same thing. Do you have

any real
> objections to using a Vacola like everyone else does?

I resisted the urge to ask for an explanation and googled Vacola all
by myself. ;>

What I see is an electric BWB system. Cool, I wish I had one of the
electric ones..... Fowler's only recommends preserving pickled
vegetables and fruits.

But it doesn't address the needs for a pressure canner.

Low acid foods, such as vegetables and meats, should be processed at
240* F, which can only be accomplished by using pressure. Hence the
need for a pressure canner.

To the OP: If you were to find a pressure canner, or import one,
what would you use for jars? I noticed Fowler's jars use a rubber
ring and a solid lid. Would that be ok for pressure canning too?

To everyone: Is there such a thing as an electric pressure canner?
I canned chicken today and it was almost impossible to keep the
pressure steady, even when using the fancy 'simmer control' on my
fancy new range. ;< Gas stove would have to be LP and there
really is no place to set one up until I build a herbarium/canning
kitchen..... as soon as I win the lottery.....

Deb
--
(in Oregon, the pacific northWET) ;>