Scott

Default Food Safety (was Chilis Preserved and Infused in Oil?

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> Cite?

For New York: New York Sanitary Code
Chapter I Sec. 14-1.80 FOOD PREPARATION AND SERVICE.
"(a) Food is to be prepared and served with no bare hand contact Unless
the food will be subsequently heated to at least the minimum temperature
required under Section 14-1.82 of this Subpart or to 165 degrees
Fahrenheit (73.9 degrees Celsius) or greater for foods that are being
heated for a second or subsequent time."

> Maybe San Francisco is one of those states--what bothers me more
> is when someone who's handling money, one of the dirtiest and germiest
> of items (think of what people have on their hands and how many are
> handling the same bill/coins) is also passing plates to customers.

San Francisco's a state now?

> IF the egg salad was refrigerated first, one hour shouldn't be a
> problem. First, it has to rise to a certain temperature for a certain
> period of time. Actually, first it needs to be contaminated <G>.

keep in mind, that the egg salad will be warmer faster on the
outside--the entire container need not get to room temperature; once
part reaches the range that's hospitable for bacteria, they start
multiplying.

> Ummmm... you probably mean "basting it from the marinade ... _before_
> serving" here. Or using the marinade as a mop/sauce at the table
> without boiling it first. Basting on the grill is fine, since the
> marinade (and what remains on the item after you take it out) will be
> sterilized from the grill heat.

I meant basting it from the marinade during grilling--unless it's on the
grill for a sufficient amount of time after the last application.

<http://web.kraftfoods.com/food_safety/fs_seas_grilling.html>
"After marinating meat, poultry or seafood, discard the marinade. ...
To use a marinade as a dipping or basting sauce, set aside a portion
before adding raw food.
Let meat, poultry and seafood cook on the grill for at least 5 minutes
after the last brush with a basting sauce. This prevents contamination
since the basting brush was probably used on the food when it was raw."

please mail OT responses only