Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default "Tater Mitts"

On May 13, 10:01 am, "limey" > wrote:
> My husband is bugging me to ask about these things.
> Does anyone know anything about them - apparently, they've been
> advertised on TV? They're waterproof gloves
> (not mitts) which are supposed to remove potato peel by abrasion when
> you rotate the potato. (He's thinking of me - I've developed arthritis
> in my fingers and using a paring knife is painful.)
>
> Dora
>
> --

Dora, I don't have arthritis, but I do have lymphedema, and just about
everything I do with my right-hand creates a problem. Sometimes I do
have a very achy point in my wrist from overdoing it just even a
little.

For me these would not work at all because there would be too much
movement in the hands even for me.

We don't have peeled potatoes very often (but even as I speak, DH is
buying a bag of potatoes), but DH does all the peeling of potatoes and
apples at our house. Even when potato or apple peeling doesn't fit in
his schedule, he will peel them and I'll put them in the refrigerator
for later use. Maybe you can talk your husband into this. Perhaps a
belated Mother's Day present: a year's worth of peeled potatoes. :-)))

There used to be many years ago, perhaps it is still available, a
basket that looks like a salad spinner (it's been so long, I can't
recall exactly) that you put your potatoes in, they bounce around and
are peeled by some sort of action. That I think is more like what I
would try to find.

Best of luck,
Dee