Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D. Winsor D. Winsor is offline

Default Makin' Bacon

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "ceed" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to make good bacon in a standard smoker with off set smoke
>> box? I seem to remember that the temperature for smoking bacon is so low
>> that it's kinda risky doing it without curing. If it can be done safely,
>> advice on how to do it right would be great.
>>
>> --
>> //ceed

> Use a hotplate and sawdust or chips for the smoke. A fire is going to be
> too hot.

I have one of those large offset firebox Charbroilers. Between our wind and
cold there may be thirty days in the year when I can control the temps to
stay high enough in it to use for barbeque. Recently I had the brainstorm
that if I couldn't keep the temps high, I could try to control the low. I
made some very good moose jerky.

I'm now thinking of trying the trout and salmon, which I normally hot smoke,
as a cured cold smoke. I made the jerky by keeping a foil pie plate of lump
charcoal going for heat and smoke making. I'm thinking a smaller intense
heat source for the cold smoke. Of course I could simply use fewer coals
and more draft, but I'm considering using a sterno or even a candle-like
stove arrangement to make the cold smoke. I'm also considering attaching a
smoke box to where the stack comes out the side to cool it even more.

These are spring and summer experiments though. The snow has just left the
yard with no guarantee that it won't make a brief return yet. It's still
too deep in the woods to open many ATV trails, but not deep enough to keep
the skidoo trails open either. Now's the time to be experimenting.