Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Weber Performer Gas grill.. thoughts/tips?

On May 11, 8:19�pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > "Dave Bugg" wrote:
> > I have my Weber Genesis connected to a 500 gallon propane tank too...

> Whoa, I just caught my verbal blunder from reading your post, Shel. *I don't
> have a Performer, I have a Weber Genesis. *I shoulda said "I have my gas
> grill hooked up to a 500 gallon propane tank". *I also have a high btu
> output, two burner outdoor stovetop hooked up to the same tank.

Well, you didn't actually say which grill... I assumed something other
than the Performer... connecting a Perfomer to a 500 gallon propane
tank I think would be a mite overkill. I also heat my entire house
with propane, make domestic hot water, and fuel my GE Profile kitchen
range. I'm very happy with the Genesis, but ever I got a bug for
charcoal again I'd get me a small Weber kettle grill, they cost very
little, are extremely portable, will last practically forever, and are
plenty capable of cooking up a whole load of food for a crowd of at
least 15. If I were to feed 15 I would only put up about half the
burgers, dogs, chicken pieces, whatever... it makes a lot more sense
to cook in smaller batches and to stagger everything so the problem of
keeping food warm without over cooking just doesn't occur. And most
food cooks up in less than ten minutes, people can wait ten minutes.
And even though the small weber kettle grill can handle 10 pounds of
london broil all at once I'd still stagger the cooking.

And charcoal is not difficult to light, I just can't see the point in
needing a gas fired contraption to get charcoal going. To me the big
hassle with charcoal is not the lighting, it's after I'm all done
cooking waiting for it to burn out and then to mess with the ashes. I
don't use the fireplace in my house for the same reason.

Sheldon