Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Weber Performer Gas grill.. thoughts/tips?

"Dave Bugg" wrote:
> markm75 wrote:
>
> I have mine hooked up to a 500 gallon propane tank, so I don't have
> preferences with regard to your choices.

I don't see any benefit to the Performer, unless someone sees paying
double the price of an ordinary weber kettle grill (the same grill) is
somehow a benefit?!?!? And the Performer is bulky and heavy for so
little cooking area.... to me it's just a gimmick and a waste of a lot
of money.

Seems awfully Rube Goldbergish to deal with gas to light charcoal, if
yer gonna bother with gas why not just get a Weber gas grill from the
git go? duh Otherwise if you just gotta go charcoal get the ordinary
kettle grill. But make up yer mind, gas, charcoal, gas, charcoal....
what's so friggin' difficult to decide. Were I desireous of a
charcoal grill (so I could play with ashes too) I'd get the small
Weber kettle grill (~$65) to compliment my Genesis. But I have many
years of playing with charcoal, I'd never go back.

I have my Weber Genesis connected to a 500 gallon propane tank too...
buying in bulk is substantially less money than refilling small tanks,
and the bulk tank truck comes to me on a regular basis so I never run
out of gsas and I never need to run out to hunt up gas. But even if
someone doesn't use enough propane to warrant having a 500 gallon tank
they can still use a 100 pound cylinder for a grill... even with the
service charge for delivery it's still less money than refilling those
20 pound tanks, and a lot less hassle... and cylinders are a lot safer
than those little tanks... and you never run out because you're
working with two tanks, soon as one goes empty switch to the full one
(simply close one valve and open the other) then call the propane
company for a refill... never again get stuck with half cooked food
you gotta drag indoors to finish cooking.

And regardless which grill, the number one safety rule, never ever
locate your grill on a wooden deck or within 10 feet of any other
combustible structure.

Sheldon