Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kane John Kane is offline

Default "So You Want To Go To Culinary School..."

On May 8, 12:57 pm, Karen > wrote:
> On May 8, 5:46 am, "Janet B." > wrote:
>
> > Thanks for posting that -- I've wondered whether there really was a pot of
> > gold for everyone at the end of training. I have a relative who 30+ years
> > ago did culinary training. He was executive chef at girls schools, colleges
> > and then a hospital and now he's either part owner or employed (never clear)
> > at a Harley diner. His wife works and they have an at-home business. It's
> > a lot of hard work and odd hours and no glamour or big bucks.

> Yes, thank you for posting the interesting article. My daughter is
> considering Johnson & Wales and I'm glad to hear another pov.
>
> Cooking for people you love must be different than cooking for the
> public. It's got to take some of the fun out of it. And, it's hard
> labor lifting heavy items. Plus, not everyone can be a star chef out
> there. I imagine there's a lot of kitchen elves running a good
> kitchen.
>
> Karen

I don't know anything about the US system but in Ontario several of
the community colleges have excellent programs and , I believe, at
reasonable prices. They usually have good tie-ins with the local food
industry as well allowing a fair bit of work experience both aat the
college and in the local area (maybe even paid!) and good intro's to
the local job market. I

have also heard good things of the Cordon Bleu schools (albeit
expensive).

Just don't expect to get rich cooking. Investing in lottery tickets is
a better route to money.

Also don't forget that there are lots of cooking jobs that are not in
restaurants per se, ranging from prisons to golf clubs ( often with
the same clientele . Often these may not offer as much range in
cooking but may have much better hours and working conditions.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada