Posted to rec.food.cooking
tert in seattle tert in seattle is offline

Default why won't they spread?

writes:

>"merryb" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>>> I only use butter but next time I'll add another 1/2 cup or so. They
>>> really
>>> are good cookies even if they don't spread right.
>>>
>>> Ms P

>> You may not want to try adding more butter- it's pretty tough to mess
>> with a baking recipe and have it work out okay. Sounds to me like they
>> may come out greasy. Are you chilling your dough? If so, try using it
>> at room temp. And there are some cookie recipes that need to be
>> smashed before baking, like some oatmeal cookie recipes. I would try
>> those things before you alter your formula.
>>

>I mess with baking recipes all the time. Sometimes they come out better,
>sometimes not. It's not the end of the world and my husband will always eat
>cookie "failures." LOL
>
>They barely have enough fat in them to keep them from sticking to the cookie
>sheets. Another quarter to half cup probably won't make them at all greasy.
>I never chill the dough for drop cookies. I make sure everything is at room
>temp to start with.

I'll second that. In fact I just messed with a muffin recipe --
I added a cup of mashed bananas and they came out great and didn't
need any other adjusting. I arrived at my current awesome chocolate
chip cookie recipe after literally dozens of adjustments. You can't
learn if you're not willing to make (and eat) mistakes!