Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ms P Ms P is offline

Default why won't they spread?

I've made these cookies before and they've never spread right. They just
stay in defiant lumps.

Apple-raisin oatmeal cookies
(a Mrs Fields recipe)

2 1/2 cups flour
1 c quick oats
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 c dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 c salted butter
1 large egg
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c honey
1 c fresh apple, peeled and diced fine
1 c raisins

In medium bowl combine flour, oats, salt, soda, cinnamon and cloves. Mix
well with whisk and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together in large bowl using electric mixer. Add
egg, applesauce and honey, beat at medium speed until smooth. (I noticed
that it never actually gets smooth no matter how much I beat it)

Add the flour, apples and raisins and blend at low speed just until
combined. Do not overmix. Dough will be quite soft.

Drop by rounded tablespoons on ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart.
Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.

Ms P