Feuer

Default Applesauce - Splenda?

The Joneses wrote:

> > Ehhhh... That's not true of pectinous things, as I understand it.
> >
> > David

> And I think acidity has something to do with keeping it good too,
> both fruits & *spreads* which is why we supposta pressure can most
> veggies.

Things can be preserved through drying and/or acid. Jams and
jellies are preserved through a sort of combination: the pectin
combining with the sugar acts to dry out the stuff. Acid also
assists in preserving it. For apple sauce, I believe all the
preservation is through acid, so make sure to have enough in there
by carefully following a recipe from a reputable source (e.g.,
BBB or USDA).

David
who likes to eat apple sauce and always buys the unsweetened
variety. Only recently have I really been eating apple sauce
straight. Up til then I ate it mainly with potato blintzes and
potato-onion pierogies (YUM!).